Wednesday, January 26, 2011

About the Title

Recently, I have felt pressure from all sides of my life, with no outlet or release anywhere in sight.  My career requires of me strict discipline, offers minimal praise, and has recently brought me to tears on two occassions.  This has consumed my life and I am no longer happy or satisfied with my daily tasks.

An ever-growing yearning to be creative and peaceful has manifested inside me, and the time has finally arrived to give it some attention.  If I do not pay attention to this creative desire that is trapped inside, something horrible is sure to happen.  Maya Angelou's poignant poem "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" has been replaying in my mind, and I have found a certain solace in knowing that, although Dr. Angelou's backdrop for this poem is much different than my own, the message is the same.  Caged birds sing because they need freedom.

"...The caged bird sings with a fearful trill
of things unknown but longed for still
and his tune is heard on the distant hill
for the caged bird sings of freedom."

I am a caged bird, and this writing vessel is my song.

No comments:

Post a Comment